Thursday, September 29, 2011

$30 a week for Groceries...

This challenge that I gave myself has been extremely difficult. It's actually kicking my butt! I must say I have been defeated by this challenge in the first week. We didn't have much meat...burgers and brats don't really count as meat to me. We didn't have a lot of bread or veggies. So I've been scavenging for to find things for us to eat.

I did find a good new recipe though for potatoes. Plus on the upside it's super easy!

You take 2 lbs of potatoes (the recipe called for red potatoes but I used regular ones)
Dice them up
Put them in a ziploc bag
Pour in a little bit of vegetable oil (I used olive oil) & shake, coating the potatoes in the oil
Next Pour in a pack of Ranch Dressing Mix & shake, coating the potatoes in the ranch dressing mix.
Put seasoned potatoes in a pan (you do not need to grease it or cover them)
Put them in the oven at 450 degrees
Let cook for 35 minutes or until browned.

I've attached the link to the actual recipe from http://www.food.com/ so you can adjust the serving sizes if needed.
http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-roasted-potatoes-42564

Now I know that this isn't the healthiest meal but it was all I could come up with.

I broke down and went to the store today and picked up more of the essitials such as; bread, eggs, chicken, and veggies. Like I said before this week kicked my butt! Only spending $30.00 a week on groceries is extremely difficult without a well thought out meal plan AND what really makes it tough is the type of meals I have had to make. I swear I feel like I have gained 10 pounds just from the scrappy and unhealthy meals we've eaten the past 3 days. I hope next week I can do better.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: