Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My First Half Marathon


This past weekend I completed my first ever half marathon! I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to do it because my legs had been acting up the entire weeks before and I wasn't able to run more then a mile before this race. Well thanks to my awesome friend she gave me an awesome massage which actually helped me more then I could have ever imagined. I actually tried to switch to the 5k but they wouldn't let me so I sucked it up and started prepping myself for walking/running for 4 hours. I set my goals realistically doable just in case I came in last I wouldn't feel so bad.

Well it turns out I felt really good the majority of the race. My plan was to run 2 miles and walk a mile. I wasn't that good of following my plan, which I now know would've been better then trying to just run and run. My competitive side definitely took over and I figured since I'm feeling good I might as well just keep running. Around mile 9 I really started to feel it kicking my butt! After mile 9 I had to walk more then I wanted and then by mile 11 my hamstrings started cramping, I definitely learned my lesson to carry my own water. These geniouses only had 2 water stations then entire race. I had horrible cotton mouth and I really felt dehydrated. By mile 12 I was walking/jogging because I knew I only had 1.2 more to go, but my glutes and hamstrings were cramping so bad at this point it hurt just to walk. As soon as I saw that finish line I sucked it up and ran to the finish.

I finished at 2 hours and 51 minutes! This is way better then 4 hours! I was so proud of myself that when I crossed the finish line I actually started crying, it felt SO good to accomplish a goal I've been wanting to do for over a year now (I got pregnant last year so I couldn't do it). Little Guy was at my brother's house I'm sad he wasn't there at the finish line.

*Only 1 picture would upload :(


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: