Sunday, January 8, 2012

365 New Things-Day 8- The History of Braids

My husband was watching basketball and one of those commercials of the poor children in Africa came on. He said, "This is so fake! Look at her hair, those braids are way too nice." So this lead to a discussion on how I felt that it was definitely real because in Africa there are a lot of women who know how to braid extremely well. He didn't believe me so....this is I figured what the heck I'll learn about it and prove to him that yes it is possible for a poor little girl in Africa to have nice braids.

I'm proud to say that, "I am RIGHT!"

Braiding orginiated in West Africa and the braids were used to signify social status, age groups, and special events. (all the information was found here.)

The women used their time braiding to socialize with each other and teaching their children. I remember my mom would practice for hours on my hair perfecting the french braid. I did the same on my barbies and later on my friends hair.

I'm really liking this challenge I have given myself. I've finished my first week and already so much has happened. I hope to continue learning new and random things. You never know when it will come in handy.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: