Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Making My Own Baby Food!

So yesterday I attempted at making my very first squash! I've never even made squash for myself. A friend of mine gave me some of her squash from her garden so I figured this is the perfect season to experiment with making my own baby food! Since everyone I run into that has done it or is doing says it's so easy I figured what the hell I want to change my life and become health might as well start Scout off in the right direction.

First I peeled the squash, I wasn't sure about the skin so I figured better safe then sorry. AFter peeling the skin I cut it up into large cubes. I figured this would help steam it better and blend better.




Once I had it completely peeled I put it all into my parents steamer they let me borrow for this experiment. I also put in a large carrot that we had, I didn't want it to go bad. So I put the timer on for 20 mins and took the opportunity to finish tiding up the house during that time.



After the steamer was finished and I could easily fit my fork through the carrot I separated the two veggies and put all the squash into the blender.



I did make one mistake that I definitely would've changed. Since this is my first time dealing with squash I had no idea that they were similar to pumpkins and that they needed to be seeded. Thankfully all the seeds blended up into very fine particals but next time I'm definitely going to take out the seeds BEFORE I steam the squash. In order for me to get the carrot all blended since I only had one I added in about a 1/8 cup of water...if that just to help it blend up a little bit better. Once I felt that each of the veggies where blended up well enough that there would be zero chunks I went ahead and used an ice tray to poor the servings into.



I put one serving into a baby food container so I could give this to him today for his lunch and the rest I put in the ice tray covered with seran wrap and put it in the freezer. Once it's frozen I'm going to put 2 cubes into freezer friendly ziploc bags so when I'm ready to use it all I have to do is mic it a little bit and mix it up and serve to my little guy.

I gave him the squash today and it was a huge success! He loved it and I loved it knowing I was giving him healthy food!

No comments: